Tuesday, June 7, 2011

a vintage addition

I have been lusting after sewing machines for weeks.

Problem:
1) I don't know how to use one,
2) I don't have one
3) they are expensive/ we have no spare money for such a thing
4) I have no idea what kind I would get since I know nothing about the things expect that I feel like I need one

I had mentioned this in front of my inlaws (or on facebook which my MIL commented on) and was told that I could have His grandmothers.  While we were over at their house for a Memorial Day cookout/Anniversary Cookout/ Sending FIL to Kenya Good-Bye cookout we dragged the thing out of the basement.
not sure what year it's from, but i'm gonna say mid-late 50's since we found the booklet to go with it

Covered in dirt, dust, and cobwebs we started to try to figure out if it would work.  It took me about 2 hours of working on it to get it to work but I did!  It doesn't have all the stitches that it says.  It does a straight stitch going at 100 miles an hour or nothing at all, but it's a start for me!

I decided to make more of a comment me to my crafting and went to the Container Store to pick up a few things.  I got a cabinet thing for 10 bucks because it was missing a shelf, and the little holders for a dollar.


So this is my new crafting station- I hope that I can keep it clean, and keep up with projects!!

ribbions and buttons, oh and a picture of my grandma when she was younger (aka identical to my mom)

fabrics, finished products, and supplies

I decided to make the top pretty



Don't forget to enter my giveaway here!

5 comments:

  1. Wow look at you all organized. This is so what I need to spend the weekend doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing machines can be so much fun! It's awesome you have one of your own now =D And I love the craft space you created! I wish I could say mine was just as neat and organized =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome! sewing is SO much fun! good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister in law is amazing with her sewing machine and I want lessons! I'm so glad you have one now. Post any tips you learn along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evan got me a sewing machine for Christmas and I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but it's so fun! If I get good at the projects I'm currently working on (and if you want =] ) we should do a little sew swap! Good luck getting started, they're super fun once you get going! Plus you have an adorable little craft area to keep you motivated!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...